The title is somewhat misleading and its totally my perception and which is
“Good Night” = “Good Sleep”;
more specifically I mean if we have a good sound sleep of 6 to 8 hours then we have a good night.
Lets face it, in this world of rat race and fierce competition, we find that 24 hours per day are insufficient to achieve our goals. We want to achieve many things and in all the things we want to excel and be better than our friends, colleague, neighbour or the stranger sitting on next table in coffee shop. And this is according to me the prime reason which makes our sleep disturbed and which transcends into poor health. There are various other reasons like unusual working hours, illness like insomnia, too much tension, etc. but we need to develop our own mantra to achieve a real good night sleep.
If you remember an age old quote by Benjamin Franklin :
Early to Bed and Early to Rise
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
was true in past, will be true in future and even more true present. So I think everyone agrees that it is best to get up early and start fresh. Well here are few tips which I have learnt either from personal experience or read elsewhere which I find quite effective in getting good night sleep:
- Follow a routine: It is quite difficult in our day to day life but it is best advise and practice to be done. Make a broad routine for the day and try to follow it sincerely, provide sufficient time for sleep, target at least 7 hours of sleep. Try to sleep early and get up before sunrise. The morning cool and fresh air is perhaps the best simulant for the rest of the day. The routine should not only be followed on weekdays but weekends as well.
- Sleep in night: Human’s body and mind has been biologically programmed over thousands of years and generations to sleep, rest and rejuvenate in night, trying to follow a different pattern has adverse effect on the biological system which results in multitude of health problems.
- Exercise and Meditate: Perhaps this is the key to achieve balance in our night sleep and in our life in total. Set aside at least half an hour to one hour every day for exercise and play and meditation, exercise helps strain the muscle and brain then directs body to sleep during night to relax and recharge the muscles. Meditation helps in bringing harmony to body, mind and soul.
- Shower and hot milk: This is a trick which works for me, a shower in the night and a glass of hot milk surely kicks in my sleeping nerve and i get a good night sleep. This mileage may vary from person to person but there will be something which will work for most of the people. Some people get good sleep while reading a story book, while other may like some light music in the evening to sleep, so this has to be tried and tested for each individual
- Get Cosy: This tip is often ignored and never taken seriously. To achieve a good night sleep, it is essential that the bed is comfortable and temperature of the room is suiting well to the body. When the body feels cosy and comfortable, it sleeps well.
- Avoid Tea and Coffee : Tea and Coffee gives body artificial simulant which makes the person awake and yet lazy so in effect, the person remains drowsy and inactive.
- Get Rid of Idiot Box: This sounds awkward but the television is one of the key culprit in recent times for the unhealthy sleeping habits, with so many options on television, we tend to play less, socialize less (except on Facebook) and sleep less. The countless variety of junk yet addictive programmes, soaps, reality shows, unhourly telecast of live sport events, etc. just disturbs the routine too much to be simply ignored.
By following these tips, it is possible to get a “Good Night” sleep or at least improve the sleeping habits. If these tips don’t help then it is better to get professional help and consult a doctor. Till that time adopt some of the tips and see the improvement in your sleeping habit and overall life.
Today 02nd July 2011 is a very important day in my life. Nothing out of ordinary happened and no none of my family or friend have their birthday, anniversary, etc. today, nor do any other special event happened today around me but the day is still special.
Today, my One & half year daughter travelled with me in the car solo. Yes, many kids starts understanding the things by this age and they also travel solo in car with seatbelts on but again its my blog and my expressions.
The drive of 2 kilometres from nearby bus stand to my home was travelled at a blazing fast speed of 15 – 25 km/hr. in 1st and 2nd gear. Being my daughter so naughty, I had no option of putting her on backseat where her last adventure of solo sitting resulted her in falling with face into the seat and she somehow couldn’t roll back to bring her face upside. The previous experience prompted me to put her front seat and put the safety belt on, from where she wrangled out her way in couple of minutes, with on moving traffic and honking horns I didn’t had option to again make her sit so I just somehow make her stand on the seat and drove back.
It was a real experience for my daughter where she travelled without anyone holding her in lap. The experience of initial crying of being stranded soon become laughter of joy when standing on the seat and peeping out by pressing her face against the window glass. Anyway this experience gave me confidence that my daughter slowly but surely getting ready to become more independent on these small but important things and she is learning the important lessons of her life.
This riding solo experience is one which I really feel that I will cherish for a long time.
As my daughter continues to grow and become more aware, she is driving me crazy to my core. She will intentionally do many activities just which irritates me like anything and that too when she is not even 1 and a half year old. I am just wondering what the devil she will be by the time she goes to school. Yesterday evening,she would just stand next to TV whenever I was watching some program. If I switch off the TV she would come back to me laughing. On switching on the TV the same drama again started. I don’t what she was enjoying the constant switching of TV or to see the helplessness and anger on my face, but she was having a sly smile on her face.
Things are getting lot and lot tougher to handle and sometimes, I lose control of my anger but the anger dies out in few seconds. Well, that for me is being a father. Very hard to handle makes life a challenge every moment but a simple smile or a rush by my daughter towards me with open arms just changes all the equations.
Enjoying the fatherhood.
Warning: This blog post is total rambling, please read at your own risk.
Of late, I have been just too busy with too many mundane things and have not posted for months altogether before the last two posts. When I opened this blog in the browser yesterday to check to check my photo entry, it struck in my mind what am I contributing via this blog. Is it any intellectual thoughts or any new creative techniques or any art work or any new news from IT world or a new food recipe or a new technique to do some experiment at home or a new perspective to existing problem or anything which will be credited and I found that I don’t plan to do anything like this. I just wanted to write something because so many other people write. This thought caused a revelation and it come to my mind that every experience, good or bad, which I get in life is always a lesson and I should always remember the crux. So, I write this blog now only for myself. It doesn’t mean that you are unwanted. In fact, you are most welcome to share your thoughts on the same. There are so many things happening in life right now, 3 years back I got married, last year we had a lovely daughter, priorities have changed from me to my daughter, the job is more demanding, my daughter wants attention all the time (not that I am complaining), purchased a car recently and learned to drive it. I am now in my early thirties and slowly but surely the aging has started. Things which may look small but will make a large impact when combined with other things happening with me. Each of these teach something and I need to remember all these goods and bads for my sake. So, I will write.
The other thought which come to me why write here on a new blog, when I had a blog on blogger.com – http://www.shivkumar.co.cc, well I have thought about it, I feel that what I express or re-express (as in retweet) should be my intellectual property. As per blogger.com T&C whatever is posted on blogger website become property of Google. So, I had to move my blog somewhere. After some thought, I decided it is best to host using Open Source Blogging Software WordPress on some free hosting. So I ended up with this blog…
Anyway coming back to the point “Blogs Introspection” – I feel that the blog may be yet another very ordinary member in the huge jungle of blog but this blog is very special to me and I promise myself to add some worthy content to it so which will make this blog worth itself.